“Love thy neighbor as thyself.”
“’…You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:30-31.
Cooksville United Church has always been a welcoming church with a focus on helping our neighbours. Our neighbours are the people in ourcongregation, the people in our local community and the people in our country and those around the world.
- We present Minutes for Mission to inform our congregation about Mission & Service initiatives supported by The United Church of Canada such as the Hunger Appeal or the appeal to help those affected by weather-related disasters.
- We present scholarships to members of our congregation who are pursuing post-secondary education.
- We help serve coffee after services and refreshments for the Annual Meeting.
- In April 2018, we sponsored a special project called “Socks and Undies Sundays”. Underwear was donated to the Salvation Army Family and Community Services to help give people a sense of self- esteem and dignity.
- We prepare lunch or dinner for the Open Door once or twice a year.
- We have had several Craft and Treasure sales to support the Scholarship Fund and the Knitwit Craft Group. The Knitwits donate handmade items to local charities such as Interim Place, Project Linus, the Salvation Army, and the Open Door. “By our hands, from our hearts.”
Helping Our Neighbourhood
- We collect eyeglasses, which are sent for recycling, so they can be used for people with vision problems.
- We collect food for the Salvation Army Food Bank throughout the year.
- We set up a Mitten Tree in the church on an annual basis before Christmas and collect donations of mittens, hats, gloves, scarves, and socks for the needy in our neighborhood.
CUC donates generously to The United Church of Canada’s Mission & Service Fund. The United Church works with partners around the world to deliver services needed.
Check out: www.united-church-ca (Partners in Mission)
Our church members, along with staff and students from the Royal Montessori School, which is located in our church, donated 259 shoeboxes to the Operation Christmas Child 2018 Campaign.
We are planning to support a new project sponsored by Habitat for Humanity-Halton-Mississauga. The Post Campaign encourages members of the community to sign a post and donate towards the Bristow-Law Build Project, which will consist of two semi-detached homes to house four families in Mississauga.
How can you get involved with OUTREACH at Cooksville United Church?
- Consider volunteering to assist with an Outreach initiative such as serving dinner at the Open Door or decorating the Mitten Tree with winter accessories.
- Support ongoing Outreach projects such as the Salvation Army Food Barrel. Each month a specific item for collection is identified but donations of any food are acceptable and greatly appreciated.
- Support the Mission & Service Fund of the United Church of Canada.
- Encourage people to apply for the Cooksville United Church Scholarship.
- Participate in Outreach events such as “Socks n’ Undies Sundays”.
- Attend the monthly meeting of Knitwits to share in fellowship while crafting for charity.
- Order a gift from the Gifts with Vision catalogue. Purchases support our M&S partners around the world.
- Become a member of the Cooksville United Church Outreach Committee.
For more information about Outreach at Cooksville United Church, please contact: